Friday, November 10, 2006
Putting computer data into order – It was painful, but certainly fruitful!
My hard disks (both internal and external) are constantly filled with loads of document files, picture files, music files and video files. These files were often not organised properly, as a result of both my constant back-ups which often resulted loads of duplicate files, and my laziness which was reflected clearly by the many ‘Miscellaneous’ folders that basically became the dumping grounds of all types of files. However, as I continued to use my professional DSLR camera to take pictures, their huge sizes took up much space in my hard disks and started to slow down my Tablet PC. Recognising that this was not the way to go, I have decided to bite the bullet and started putting ALL the files in my hard disks into proper order close to a week ago. The process amazed me in many ways. For example, I deleted more than 25GB of data because of duplication of files! That was huge! Also, I realised I had disorganised files dated all the way back to my secondary school days, and they continued to snowball over the years…
The past few days have been painful (especially to my eyes) and tiring (especially for my mind), as I forced myself to stay in front of the computer for long hours to put every single files into proper order, to categorise them into the right folders and to name the folders with easy-to-identify folder titles. But I must say that it was also very rewarding. Not only I have managed to put everything into order and make my data retrieval easier and faster, I have also freed up lots of space in my hard disks for storage purposes, and that I would certainly call it ‘fruitful’! Haha! =D
The past few days have been painful (especially to my eyes) and tiring (especially for my mind), as I forced myself to stay in front of the computer for long hours to put every single files into proper order, to categorise them into the right folders and to name the folders with easy-to-identify folder titles. But I must say that it was also very rewarding. Not only I have managed to put everything into order and make my data retrieval easier and faster, I have also freed up lots of space in my hard disks for storage purposes, and that I would certainly call it ‘fruitful’! Haha! =D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment