Saturday, November 25, 2006

‘Casino Royale’ – A new James Bond 007 in an old James Bond 007 movie

Like many cinema-goers around the world, I wanted to check out Daniel Craig, the new James Bond 007 in the latest James Bond 007 movie release—the remake of James Bond 007 classic ‘Casino Royale’. I watched the trailer online recently and I thought it would be a good movie to catch here. Hilla and I went to the cinema in the Shivat HaKokhavim Mall last night to watch this movie, and I would comment that this movie was really good in its action scenes, but fell short of the classic James Bond elements… I still felt that Craig couldn’t be compared with Pierce Brosnan in his charming factor (to the ladies of course). I also felt that the James Bond in this ‘Casino Royale’ was too much in gambling, and I couldn’t accept the outcome that he wasn’t the one who finished off the ‘bad guy’!!! (Well, there were many ‘bad guys’ in the movie, but of course I was talking about Bond’s opponent in the casino.)

Okay, enough of movie review/critic, I should highlight on an interesting part about watching my first movie here in Israel. Since the cinema still uses the old, film-rolling projection machines to show the movies, every movie will have an intercession and stop for about 15 minutes when the staff changes the film (most movies come in 2 rolls of films). During this time, the audience can go for their toilet break and buy more drinks, popcorns, snacks, etc.. What a way to earn more revenue for the food and beverage counters!!! Initially I thought it might spoil the movie with the intercession cutting it into two halves. However, I realised that there were significantly less movements to and return from the toilets during the movie and I thought this was actually good. Hmmm… I really wonder whether the people in Singapore or Hong Kong will accept these changes if they are implemented in the cinemas… =P

No comments: