Saturday, February 04, 2006

Another Chinese New Year in Singapore...

I must really declare that I missed spending Chinese New Year (CNY) back home! If my calculation was correct, I have just spent 6th or 7th CNY in Singapore, and I really wonder when it will be the next time I will be home to spend CNY with my family! Well, actually, not saying that I really resented spending CNY in Singapore (although it is not as happening compared to CNY in Hong Kong), but of course I would really prefer getting busy during CNY and at least have something to do all the time! (Am I a workaholic??? Hmmm...)

My CNY eve was really one of a kind... I actually spent 10 hours, almost non-stop, watching TV at home, from 2pm to 12midnight! I watched Channel 5 at first, showing the movie 'Mission to Mars' (which was not really interesting although the storyline is weird), then I changed to Channel NewsAsia and happened to catch the documentary on SMU. After that I decided to retune all the channels on TV, and then I settled for a Japanese TV show on Channel U, and later, the evening News report on the same channel. After that, I caught another movie, this time round in Chinese, on Channel 8, which has an even more weird storyline, before I went to the kitchen and prepared my dinner (which was around 10pm and sadly, 2 packets of instant noodles for CNY eve! =( ). And then I put the noodles before me and started watching 'Rush Hour' on Channel 5, and the movie distracted me so much until my noodles became so soggy and inedible... All these while I put my laptop before me and chatted on MSN at the same time, and all alone in the apartment coz' nobody was home! Must really admit that I almost cried when the sun started to set, but thankfully I needed not to do that as my mum gave me a call shortly after I had that thought. What a CNY eve eh?

Thankfully, things changed close to the stroke of midnight. A very close friend of mine SMSed me around 11 plus and asked me if I wanna watch the movie 'I Not Stupid Too'. I shouted 'liberation!' the moment I got the SMS... haha... coz' finally I got to leave the apartment and I knew I would enjoy the time later on. The movie was great, very entertaining and at certain parts very touching. I got so impressed by the movie to the point that I straightaway put it in my MSN nickname to recommend my friends to catch it! Haha! I really thank God for not forgetting me all alone and arranged an itinerary that He knew I would love, i.e. catching a great movie and more importantly spending time with my close friend, even though I paid alot for the movie itself (the public holiday price of the movie ticket + 2 midnight taxi journeys between Upper Bukit Timah and Tampines)! Yay yay!!! =D

Interestingly, the midnight after the CNY 1st day was also spent watching movie, again! This time round it was 'Memoirs of a Geisha', another great show, very captivating and beautiful (although some people do not really appreciate it), with my friends from church after having dinner at where one of them stays. And guess what, I watched the same movie AGAIN when I went across the Causeway to Johor Bahru (JB) on the CNY 2nd day with Zhuomin and Liqin. Guess we all got too bored in Singapore... We spent time at JB City Square eating, walking around and shopping (not me of coz!), from early afternoon till late at night. Hmm... really wish Singapore can do more to spice up the CNY atmosphere on the actual days!!!

The CNY 3rd day was spent mostly watching TV, again! (What goes around comes around!) And must confess that I planned to catch up my school work and in the end never got down to it at all even though the holiday was pretty long! (Guilty! Hehe... =P ) School resumed the next day, and haha... so many of my friends came and told me that I should have told them I would be all alone for CNY eve! Haiz... I just told them it's over already lah. Haha... As for next year's CNY wise, hmm... so far I got an invitation for the reunion dinner 1 year early, and I think only know if I will get to go for it at the end of this year or the start of next year once I confirm my post-graduation plans. Hmm... shall I spend CNY in Singapore or HK next year?

No comments: